In every software development project, we have to make estimates – how long will the project take? How much will it cost?
The truth is, though, that this is not something we’re taught in college, nor in our coding bootcamps, YouTube tutorials or Stack Overflow threads. And once we have to do it, we quickly realize the key thing about it: making accurate estimates is extremely hard.
The session will take a deeper look into why making estimates is challenging, but even more importantly provide some essential insights and tips to take into consideration when working on estimates.
The focus will be on:
- Breaking down the work into smaller tasks
- Not assuming without asking questions
- Proposing adjusting the requirement
- Factoring in your degree of confidence
- Agreeing on a sequence for estimating
- Setting a maximum time limit for each task
- Keeping in mind the extra things and tasks
As with so many other activities, the more you practice, the better you'll get at it.